Protecting the Best Interests of You & Your Family
Seek the Support You Need After Divorce
The issue of alimony, or spousal support, is often a hotly contested matter in a divorce. It is absolutely critical that it is resolved fairly. When you have our alimony lawyer in Collin County on your side, you can be confident that we will aggressively pursue and negotiate a fair outcome.
Call Cross Family Law, PLLC today at (972) 675-7792 to discuss your situation.
Spousal Maintenance & Texas Law
In Texas, alimony may be requested by either spouse in a divorce. The court will award alimony under specific circumstances:
- One spouse does not have the financial resources to provide for his or her basic needs.
- One spouse was convicted of an act of family violence within two years of filing for divorce.
- One spouse is incapacitated, whether mentally or physically.
- The marriage has lasted for at least ten years, and one spouse has been dependent on the other.
- The spouse requesting support cares for a child who has a condition that requires specialized care due to a disability, preventing that parent from being able to work and earn a living.
The maximum amount of spousal maintenance payments in Texas cannot exceed 20 percent of your spouse’s current gross monthly income. The payments ordered will be for the shortest length of time possible for the individual to gain employment for self-support.
The Right Divorce Lawyer Matters
When alimony has become an issue of contention, you need to have the support of a skilled litigator to protect your rights. At Cross Family Law, PLLC, we are proud to have achieved a reputation for aggressive advocacy in divorce law, and have received many positive results in many challenging cases.
Negotiation or Trial?
In many cases, with the right legal counsel, the issue of alimony can be resolved outside of court. In others, a court decision will be the only way to come to a resolution. In either case, you need legal counsel with trial experience who can present evidence to support your case in a compelling and persuasive manner.